To make a good comparison between Craft and Wordpress, we first dive into the history of both systems. Wordpress was (already) started in 2003 to simplify the creation and publishing of weblogs. Craft 1.0 was not developed in 2013 for blogs, but as a complete Content Management System (CMS). Over the years, developers have worked hard at Wordpress to turn it into a CMS. At Craft, the developers don't have to bend over backwards, because the platform was designed from the start to manage content. As a result, Craft CMS has quickly gained popularity in recent years!
Wordpress pros and cons
Wordpress is incredibly popular - about a quarter of websites worldwide run on Wordpress - and that is of course not for nothing. You can start for free and the system works fine for standard websites. Its strength is its simplicity for non-techies; there are thousands of plugins available with which you can 'tweak' your website.
Advantages of Wordpress
- Wordpress is initially free;
- There are different templates and themes to put together your website;
- There is a wide range of plugins to add functionality to your website.
Disadvantages of Wordpress
- Wordpress websites are immediately recognizable because the same visual themes are used;
- Wordpress is relatively vulnerable. The system and the plugins require regular (security) updates to protect the website against hackers;
- Wordpress is for generic use. As soon as you (and also the experienced developer) want to make customizations, you quickly get stuck.